NEWS RELEASE · 7th February 2015
District of Kitimat
The District of Kitimat is receiving assistance from private contractors and industry to supplement municipal snow clearing, with the aim of getting streets cleared faster during this extreme winter weather.
Crews will be working overnight and we continue to ask the public to remain patient. The District is attempting to tow abandoned vehicles to Nechako Centre in order to allow snow removal equipment to access side streets. Those who have left their vehicle on an arterial road due to the inability to access their street are asked to relocate them to Nechako Centre, if possible.
Once again, we are asking the public for assistance by adhering to the following:
- Please stay home, as visibility is limited due to blowing snow.
- Donít drive unless absolutely necessary, as stuck vehicles will hinder snow clearing.
- If you must drive, a 4x4 with adequate clearance is strongly recommended.
- Conserve water as sporadic power outages have impacted our pumping system
- Do NOT place snow from your property onto roadways.
- Do NOT park vehicles on any roads at any time during snow clearing operations
- Stay well away from the road when plows and snow blowers are out. Propelled ice and snow debris can be extremely dangerous. Parents should be extra vigilant in ensuring children donít put themselves in harmís way.
- Be careful near downed power lines as they may still be live.
The weather forecast indicates heavy snow will taper to a few flurries overnight as the tail of the storm moves out of the region.