REPORTING · 29th August 2014
The Kitimat Fire Department was called out to Smith Street for a suspected brush fire on Friday, August 22nd.
“We got a call on Friday night about smoke showing in the back corner of Smith/Sparks Street. When we arrived, you could see a haze of smoke in the bush behind 153 Sparks so we went down to investigate,” said Firefighter Adam Taylor.
From the street, there is a drop off. The firefighters investigated, could not see or smell any smoke or flames. They had enough time to investigate one more time before it got dark.
“We talked to the home owners and that’s when we found out, potentially, there might be someone back there,” said Taylor. “We were told this had been going on for weeks, this wasn’t a new issue in this neighbourhood.”
They said they would come back in the morning if there were any further concerns.
But then, On Wednesday, August 27th, they were called out again to the same area and this time, they found a 100’ duff fire.
“A duff layer is the organics that kind of grow on the surface with root trees and stuff,” said Deputy Chief of Operations Derek Collier. “Peat moss, fallen roots and leaves and rotting vegetation. It actually goes below the surface of the ground.”
It will be up to an investigation to discover if the two incidences are related. Taylor stated that due to the nature of the gully, they could not get to the area where they found the duff fire.
The Kitimat Fire Department is reminding people to be aware when they are in the bush to properly extinguish their campfires and do not leave them unattended. The Campfire ban was lifted Wednesday, August 27th at 4:00.