Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
REPORTING · 20th May 2014
Kitimat RCMP
Kitimat Detachment responded to 84 calls for service during this period. Some of which are as follows:

On May 12 Kitimat RCMP were dispatched to a complaint of vandalism at the Kitimat Valley Institute. A member attended and noted that it appeared that a window had been smashed by a rock. It was determined that the incident had occurred over the weekend. Concluded here.

On May 13 at 7:46 am, Kitimat RCMP were dispatched to a complaint of a break and enter at the Hirsch Creek Golf and Winter Club. The door had been kicked in and the beer cooler emptied. Damage/loss is estimated to be $1050.00. The matter is still under investigation.

On May 13 at 4:58 pm, Kitimat RCMP received a complaint of a threat made by a male trying to sell the complainant wife windows over the phone. After hearing the pitch, the victim stated to the male that she knew it was a "Scam". Male told her he would find her and hurt her. Member attended the complainant`s residence and spoke with the victim who advised she wasn't scared and knew the call did not originate locally but thought it should be reported. The victim stated the male caller became upset when she called it a scam and told her she would be charged, put in jail and raped. It was learned that the call was found to have originated in Illinois, USA and there was not really anything that could be done from here in Canada. Both the victim and complainant were advised by the member to not answer such calls in the future and to report incident to government web site that handles scams and frauds made over the phone and the internet. The victim again stated she wasn't concerned and thanked member for attendance. File concluded

On May 14 at 4:45 pm, Kitimat RCMP received a complaint that at around noon the complainant saw a suspicious male hanging around the apartments on Kingfisher Ave near Gyrfalcon Ave. The male jumped out in front of the complainant`s vehicle making her swerve when she passed by. The male was described as being a Caucasian male, late 30's or 40's, 250 lbs to 300 lbs, short black hair, white shirt, drk pants and wearing sunglasses. At time of report the male was no longer in area. The complainant only reported the incident for information purposes only. File concluded.

On May 14 at 10:41 pm, Kitimat RCMP responded to a complaint of harassment at the Big Spruce park while camping. The complainant was intoxicated and could not provide any other details to Police Dispatch or police when spoken to on the phone. A member attended the Big Spruce park and met with the complainant who advised that he believed the camp next to him to have "a beef" with him. He was not able to coherently provide a recollection of the incident. Police spoke with the person next door who advised that while sitting at his campfire he had been approached by the complainant asking if he had a problem and wanted to air it out. He advised that he told the complainant he didn't even know who he was, at which time the complainant returned to his camper. No further problems, nothing criminal occurred, both parties advised they had no issue with the other. Concluded here

On May 15 at 5:51 pm, Kitimat RCMP received a complaint of a possible Break and Enter and theft from a residence on Kuldo Blvd., Missing is a black Compaq laptop computer which when turned on it displays the name " DIANNE" and an external hard drive. No serial numbers. Value estimated at $1100. Also missing is a disabled (bolt removed) Remmington .308 with a scope. This matter is still under investigation.

On May 15 at 9:27 pm, Kitimat RCMP responded to a Break and Enter complaint on Wren Street. Members attended and located a male and a female in the house. It was soon learned that they were house sitting and no break and enter occurred. File is concluded.

On May 16 at 1:34 pm, Kitimat RCMP were contacted by a complainant who wished to open a missing persons report. The complainant advised police that her son, a youth, has been missing since 6:00 pm the night before. She had called every friend and possible place she could think of to find him and was now requesting the RCMPs help. The youth was placed on the Canadian Police Information Centre database and members began making enquiries at places where they have seen him in the past. At 3:59 pm, the youth returned home on his own and was removed from the database. File concluded here.

On May 16th at 8:39 pm, a member was dispatched to keep the peace at a residence on Wedene Street, Kitimat, BC. The complainant stated his ex wife had taken his two children when it was his time with them. He stated there was no custody agreement in place, and if police didn't attend he would kick down the door. The member arrived on scene and spoke with the complainant who stated his ex wife snatched his children when they were out with his girlfriend earlier, and that they were supposed to be with him tonight. The ex wife stated it was not his time with the children and one of the children called her to come pick them up. Both children agreed with the ex wife and stated they were not snatched. The member explained to the complainant that the kids seemed fine inside and had no desire to leave, and that as the ex wife is their mother she had the right to being with the children. The complainant was very upset and stated that he was just goning to keep the kids next time or take them. The member explained to both of them that they needed to figure out an agreement or get a custody order put in place to avoid these incidents, both parties agreed. The children stayed with the ex wife and the complainant left the scene. The complainant called the member back later and stated he misheard his girlfriend and the kids weren't snatched, but picked up by her. File concluded.

On May 17th at 1:58 am, a member was dispatched to a noise complaint at a residence on Lahakas Boulevard, Kitimat, BC. The complainant stated she was woken up by loud music coming from a condo in her area, no specific condo given. The member walked out of Kitimat detachment, and could hear very loud music playing from across the street. The member arrived on scene and determined the music was coming from a specific condo on Lahakas Boulevard, which had a window open and people could also be heard talking loudly. The property representative stated he only had 6-7 people inside and he would turn the music down. The member was satisfied that a warning was sufficient and left the residence. However, as he was walking away the music was turned back on to the same volume as before. The member returned and issued the property representative with a Municipal By-law ticket for noise. The property rep was very upset by this, and stated the police should go do something else. He eventually accepted the ticket and again stated he would turn the music off. As the member left the scene he coud no longer hear the music. No further action required. Concluded here.

On May 17 at 9:44 pm, Kitimat RCMP responded to a report of a dispute at the Kitimat Legion. Upon arriving, the member learned that two males in a taxi were refusing to get out. It was explained by one of them that they had gotten into the taxi at the Kitimat Hotel which already had a fare in it and gave the driver $10.00 to take them to the Camp. The driver had told them it was not enough and returned the money to them and told them to get out. The responding member then gave the two males a ride back to their original location at the Kitimat Hotel, which was a safe and warm place for them to stay until they could be picked up by another taxi and taken to the camp. File concluded.

On May 18th at 6:41 am, police were dispatched to an animal call in the area of 654 W Columbia Avenue Kitimat,BC. The complainant called police to report he observed a grizzly bear and its two cubs walking near Riverlodge. A member attended and conducted patrols in the area with negative results. No further police action required. Concluded Here.

On May 18 at approx 4:45 pm, Kitimat RCMP received an abandoned 911 where a youth asked for the police then hung up. The call came from a lobby pay phone inside City Centre Mall, Kitimat. Members immediately attended. While enroute a second call was received requesting Kitimat Fire Dept attend. One member entered the mall through the lower level, scanning as he went through the mall. Another member entered through the second level, scanning. Members observed no distress or emergency on lower level and proceeded to washroom area in upper level. The washroom area has a pay phone and is known to get false 911 calls. It was confirmed that the phone number of bathroom area pay phone was the same as call received. The members cleared the washrooms and area. No subjects or sign of fire. The members met up with Kitimat Fire crew on scene and updated which phone calls were made from. Kitimat Fire and the members did a complete walk through/around the mall to confirm calls were false. Three males who were in the Pizza Factory were spoken to. They denied being in the washroom area. A worker from the Pizza Factory informed the members that the three males entered the shop from the direction of the washroom area. The three males were warned that if it was them that made the call, they could be arrested and charged for their actions. As there is no eye witnesses, police were unable to determine if false calls were made by the three males. No further action can be taken. File concluded.

If you have information about these or any other crimes, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or contact the Kitimat RCMP at 250-632-7111. Crime Stoppers is anonymous and does not subscribe to call display and calls are not traced or recorded. If your information leads to an arrest or charge you may be eligible for a cash award.
False Alarms???
Comment by Larry Walker on 21st May 2014
I would think the time has come to start charging these residence and businesses for these false call outs. I know that in some areas like Kelowna there is a strict limitation on the number of repeat false call outs and anything over that the owners are fined (great incentive to fix their systems). Hope this is being done here as well.