Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
NEWS RELEASE · 29th January 2014
Kitimat RCMP
Kitimat Detachment responded to 64 calls for service during this period. Some of which are as follows:

On January 20, at approximately 2126 hours a complainant called to report that her cousin had assaulted her. The complainant advised that there are 3 kids in the house and that she is now outside. Members arrived on scene to learn that the complainant was now the subject of the complaint and had left the area. Members spoke to the cousin who was sober and she explained that the complainant was drinking and was being loud. The cousin told her to be quiet and when the complainant wouldn't, she grabbed the complainant’s wine and threw it down the drain. Then the complainant started to freak out and left. The cousin is adamant that no assault took place and there were no signs of an assault at the location. Member attempted to contact the complainant but phone went straight to voice mail. Another male was spoken to and he advised that he was in the house and that no assault took place. File concluded

On January 20th, 2013 Kitimat RCMP received a complaint from a woman who stated that her husband had not visited her in hospital and was not picking up the phone when she called. She was concerned as her husband had previously had a stroke. Members attended their residence and with permission from the woman entered the apartment as there was no answer at the door. They found the husband lying on the bathroom floor with a severely reduced level of consciousness. EHS was contacted and he was transported to Kitimat General Hospital by ambulance. The complainant was notified by phone. Age and medical history suggest the husband’s condition was a result of the cumulative effects of several health issues and not self inflicted. Conclude Here.

On January 20, at approximately 2353 hours, a complainant called 911 and requested police assistance then hung up the phone. Dispatch called her back and she then said she was fine and didn't need police. As it was a 911 call, police did attend anyway to the residence on Baxter Ave, Kitimat, BC and spoke with the complainant. The complainant wasn't forthcoming with answers and didn't want to talk to police. She was crying and appeared nervous. After a while she told the attending member that she and her boyfriend had an argument. The boyfriend ended up pushing her onto the bed, jumped on top of her and somehow put his hand on her face where she started to suffocate. She kicked in the wall making a hole and told him to get off her, which he did. She then told him to leave, which he did. She then called the police. She was confused as whether or not she wanted to go forward with charges. She didn't want to provide statement nor go to court. Another member located the boyfriend walking. The member spoke to the boyfriend who confirmed they had an argument, she asked him to leave and he did. At this time there is no witness of the assault and the complainant doesn't want charges. File still under investigation.

On January 21 Kitimat RCMP received a crimestoppers tip of a sighting of Kevin VERMETTE in Port Coquitlam. CPIC message sent by Kitimat RCMP to the RCMP detachment in the area to conduct further checks. Members attended and spoke with business operator where he was said to be seen. He was not recognized and there was no video surveillance equipment in the business. The information is unsubstantiated. Concluded

On January 21st, 2014, at 1141 hrs, Members received an alarm at a residence on Turney St, Kitimat, BC. Members attended and found the residence was secure at all points. A neighbour leaving advised that the neighbour’s son had just left and probably set off the alarm. She stated this happened a couple of weeks ago as well. No sign of anything out of the ordinary and no other subsequent reports. File concluded as no PR attended.

On January 22 at 1425 hours the Kitimat RCMP Detachment received a complaint of garbage bags being left "neglected" near the Nechako buildings. The complainant dug through the garbage and found a resume with a name and requested police to speak with the person and advise them to clean up. Member called the person named who advised police that she missed garbage day and left her garbage outside and it disappeared one afternoon, she thinks a relative may have moved it there. She advised she will clean it up that evening. Member called the complainant three times however his phone went straight to voicemail and his voicemail is full. As the person named advised she will move the garbage that night there should be no further issues. File concluded.

On January 23, at approximately 1032 hrs, Kitimat RCMP received a that at 07:30 the complainant was driving a truck with a 53' trailer attached and was cut off by an orange Chevy HHR. The complainant was concerned that if he had had a full load on his trailer he would not have been able to stop in time and would have hit the vehicle. The complainant was making a left hand turn on 3rdnumber was provided, a member was able to contact the registered owner. At 1822 hrs, a member contacted the RO who said that he had realized he had made a mistake and was very apologetic. He was advised by the member that an accident could have occurred if the truck was loaded. The member then contacted the complainant the next day and advised him of the call. The complainant was satisfied with outcome. File concluded.

On January 23rd, 2014 at 01:08 Kitimat RCMP received a complaint from a complainant advising that he had been assaulted by his nephew at a residence on Starling St. Members attended. The complainant although claiming to be sober was intoxicated, he had some bruising around his left eye and on his forehead between his eyes. He stated that he had been punched by His nephew 10 times and almost went unconscious. The complainant was intoxicated to the point where he appeared to be having difficulty constructing complete and coherent sentences. The member advised that he would return the following night to obtain photographs and a statement and to see if the complainant still wished to pursue charges. At the time of arrival the nephew had left the residence with a female. Patrols were made in the area but the nephew was not located. The complainant was advised to keep his door locked and not let the nephew back in should he return. Also present were two other females and a male. Arrest not made at time as both parties separated, no risk of continuation and the level of intoxication for all present made obtaining any information difficult. 2014/1/27: Member obtained an audio recorded statement in which the complainant stated that the nephew had apologized and he did not wish to pursue charges. Statement added to hard copy. Conclude Here.

On January 23rd 2014, a report of a 2 unknown youth trying to light a tree on fire, or playing with fire at/near Nechako center in Kitimat was received by the Kitimat RCMP. A member attended and made extensive patrols without success. Another member patrolled also without success. One of the members spoke with the complainant who said that the youths were dressed in dark clothing and "being mouthy". Patrols negative. File concluded

On January 24th 2014 a report of an alarm at a business near City Centre was received by the Kitimat RCMP. A member attended and found the building insecure. A set of doors was left unlocked. The member cleared the building and found a phone list in a staff room, calling down the numbers until a Property Representative arrived on scene and confirmed the building had nothing amiss. File Concluded.

On January 24 at 1909 hours the Kitimat RCMP Detachment received a complaint of a white pickup truck with " Stantech" on the side of it almost hit a pedestrian. The complainant advised the truck ran a red light at the intersection near the Tim Hortons and the pedestrian had the right of way. No plate obtained. Members patrolled for the vehicle however were unsuccessful. Members also looked for the pedestrian who was wearing a blue hoodie, printed pants and a toque and was headed toward Tim Hortons. Members were unable to locate them as well. The member called the complainant back and thanked them for calling. File concluded. avenue and the vehicle was coming from the East side of 3rd. As a plate

On January 25 at 2250 hours the Kitimat RCMP Detachment received a complaint from an employee at the Kitimat Ice Rink reporting an intoxicated male causing issues. Members attended the ice rink/local hockey game and observed an irate male who was on his way out of the rink. Members spoke with the male outside and he advised another male known to police was in the arena and that they have prior issues and that he shouldn't be allowed to be walking around. The male had obviously consumed alcohol however he was capable of taking care of himself, he was just very worked up. He would not members exactly what the issue was with the other male was. Members advised the male not to return to the hockey game due to his behaviour. Members then spoke with the other male and a friend who were watching the hockey game. The other male was worked up as well stating he didn't do anything to anyone. Members warned the male to stay way from the first male as he is currently on no-contact condition with him. It appeared that the first male was the one who approached the other male at the game. Further to that, members continued to have issues at the hockey game removing two minors from the beer gardens as well as two intoxicated males who had clearly been over served. Members addressed this issue with the staff serving alcohol. The hockey game typically starts at 2200 hours however due to a highway issues the opposing team did not arrive till late and the game did not commence till approximately 2300 hours. Officers believe this may be the reason for the increased issues this evening. File concluded.

On January 26 at 0043 hours the Kitimat RCMP received a call from a male reporting that he’s ata pub and people are starting to fight. It was unknown what pub therefore members attended all the bars in Kitimat. When officers attended the Ol' Keg Pub there was a man who had blood dripping down on his face from his right eyelid. He advised he had been in a fight in the Ol' Keg Pub bathroom. He alluded that he knew who it was but did not want to tell the officers. He was asked several times with no success. Members called EHS who attended and took the male to the hospital as he likely needed a stitch. No surveillance and no witnesses. No further evidence to continue investigation and the victim is uncooperative. File concluded

On January 26 at 0342 hours a member on patrol observed a vehicle travelling East on Haisla Blvd. The vehicle stopped at a green light, put left blinker on and drove in to the left lane but did not turn at the green light. The vehicle waited for the next green light and proceeded to turn left on to Kuldo Ext. The member activated emergency lights and the vehicle put their right blinker light on and took approx. 50 seconds to actually pull over. The male driver immediately admitted to the member he had too much to drink to be driving. He had glassy eyes and slurred speech. The member also noted a mild odour of liquor on his breath after he exited vehicle. He failed two ASD tests roadside therefore his vehicle was impounded for 30 days and he was served with an Immediate Roadside Prohibition of his drivers licence for 90 days. File concluded.

If you have information about these or any other crimes, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or contact the Kitimat RCMP at 250-632-7111. Crime Stoppers is anonymous and does not subscribe to call display and calls are not traced or recorded. If your information leads to an arrest or charge you may be eligible for a cash award.