REPORTING · 8th December 2012
Photo Taken Friday, December 9th:
A Barbecue for a local resident, injured in a head on collision and rushed to the Burn Unit of Vancouver General Hospital took place on Friday December 7th.

The hard workers kept the grills going from 11:00 until 7:00 at night and raised over $16,000.

For those who wish to donate further, a trust fund has been opened at Envision Financial.
Re: Outraged
Comment by Walter McFarlane on 17th December 2012
The answer is simple. I’m not the one who approves the comments. I often get a lot of flack over the commenting policy, which is why I washed my hands of it. I do look at the comments on the editing board, but I don't touch them.

I can go into great lengths about how our commenting policy became as confusing as it is but in a nutshell: the people who speak the loudest about their right to express themselves are the same people who will argue that other people should be silenced from expressing their opinion.

While hurtful and out of place, the nitrogen comment is someone’s opinion. It is an opinion I disagree with but that does not mean they are not entitled to it.

It is also a problem which many online publications have to deal with, as their commenting sections have become a war zone between two different factions who are on two different sides of a story and only want their side published.

If you want to be outraged, be outraged with the person who wrote the comment. Otherwise, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Reply to Walter
Comment by Outraged on 16th December 2012
My question to you Walter is if all postings are reviewed before the kitimat daily displays on this site than why was the comment about the nitrogen tires even posted. This comment had no right to be displayed. I assume all postings are reviewed so that any postings that would be considered upsetting or insulting to others would simply not be displayed. As soon as I read the posting about the nitrogen tires I became very upset that the Kitimat Daily would actually post such a ignorant and stupid comment. All this did was give the creator of the comment exactually what he or she was looking for and that is to upset alot of people.
Comment in question
Comment by Walter McFarlane on 12th December 2012
I think the comment left by Gardner related to the comment on the nitrogen filled tires, one which riled me up as well.
Reply to Corene
Comment by Ben Gardner on 11th December 2012
My comment had nothing to do with the comments made about road maitanence . In fact if you read my comment and the header you can see i replied to Northern Driver , whos comment was as follows -By Northern Driver
5 days ago ·" thats what nitrogen in your tires will do for ya!"....so yah im a big jerk.
And yours is also not the only family who drives on the road , we all drive on that road.
Also repliying with all caps lock indicates yelling , there is no need to yell.
I may indeed come talk to you in person, and you can tell me all about the word disgusting .
Im sure your view points and arguments will be very rational and intelligent . (that there Corene, was sarcasm )
Back at you
Comment by Corene Rolfe on 9th December 2012
AFTER THIS HORRIFIC ACCIDENT INVOLVING MEMBERS OF OUR YOUNG PEOPLE OF KITIMAT SOMEONE MAKES A COMMENT ABOUT THE ROAD CONDITIONS AND THE LACK OF CARE AND THE COMMENT BACK FROM SOMEONE TO THIS PERSON IS THAT THEY ARE DISGUSTED ?? I MYSELF AND MY YOUNG KIDS DRIVE THE HIGHWAY FROM CABLE CAR AND BACK ALL THE TIME AND IF YOU WANT TO USE THE WORD DISGUSTING COME TALK TO ME AND I WILL TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT, MY FEELNGS ARE THAT IF THE ROAD CONDITIONS WERE LOOKED AFTER THAT NIGHT THIS COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED AND AS FOR CLASS THE PERSON THAT MADE THE COMMENT ABOUT THE ROAD CONDITIONS OBVIOUSLY HAS MORE CLASS AND CARING FOR THE INJURED THAN YOU. THIS IS ABOUT PEOPLE NOT BUSINESS
I GIVE MY BLESSINGS AND PRAYERS TO THE PEOPLE INJURED IN THIS ACCIDENT AND AND HOPE FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY

SEE COMMENTS BELOW

CARING GUY

2 days ago · As far as I am concerned, highway maintenance people are responsible for this accident. I have driven Canada's highways in farther reaches North and never have I seen roads pocked with raised patches of ice that literally bounce your vehicle violently to the left or right like highway 37. The problem is road maintenance contractors are too cheap to put the blade within 2 mm of the road surface because they don't want to pay for normal blade wear. Blade wear is a normal part of any winter equipment budget but. There is no excuse for subjecting the people Kitimat to this year after year. The next one will be a fatality. Seriously petition to fire this contractor and reinstate provincially funded road maintenance people who are not too cheap to put safety before pennies and are trained professionals. And until we do that RCMP should be empowered to simply close highway 37 when it is left in this condition. That's right, lock the road out along with the contractor and see how quick that gets resolved.

JERK GUY
Pretty disgusting

Your comment has no context or place in regards to this article about a couple of young men injured in a bad wreck. Show a bit of class.
Or at least support this comment with some kind of relative fact . Probally wise you did not include your name with your comment.
Good work to those who pitched to help these people , and a all the best to those injured . My family is wishing you all the best in your recovery.
Great Community Spirit.......
Comment by Larry Walker on 8th December 2012
That is one of the main reasons, we decided to
retire here.

Larry
RE: Crash Victim pulled from burning car by Good Samaritans
Comment by Rita Dawson on 8th December 2012
My name is Rita Dawson, I am Grandmother to Garrett Dawson of Kitimat who was the passenger in the vehicle that caught fire during the horrendous accident on the highway into Kitimat.

I reside on Vancouver Island and am unable to afford the flights from the Island to Kitimat to see my Grandson therefore it is with the deepest of appreciation and heartfelt gratitude that I am doing the only thing left to me in writing the people of the Town of Kitimat and those wonderfully selfless people who stopped that evening and helped both of the precious young men who were injured.

Sending all of you a big hug. THANK YOU!

From the Heart of a Grandmother