CONTRIBUTION · 13th January 2012
Diane VanderWiel
I am very frustrated with our Environment of Canada and the R.C.M.P. As per our discussion, here is my story.

Two years ago while touring our back roads in Fort St. James, we came upon a little ball of yellow fluff on the road. We watched as it had scurried back and forth, not wanting to interrupt it rejoining it's family. Half an hour had passed and it was getting weaker as we watched. We were not the only ones watching this little bird, there was an eagle hovering above. We got out of our vehicle and scooped up the bird. We brought it home, put it in a crate, feed and watered it. A couple of weeks had passed and by this time she was stronger.

I live in Fort St James, Pinchi Lake road, we have 5 acres, I have chickens and I also raise my own birds.

At that time I had baby chicks, so I placed the little bird(not knowing that she was a Canada goose) in the baby pen. She adapted very well, eating, sleeping and playing in the outdoors with the other chicks.

A few months had passed and after loosing her yellow down, to our surprise,we discovered that she was a Canadian goose. We have tried to integrate her back into the wild with the other geese that lay resting and feeding on our property and surrounding areas. She had no interest and was totally content with her new found family. Over the next 2 years Lucy, we named her, had established a great connection with my husband and I and our 4 dogs.

Lucy would follow me and the dogs as we walked around on our property, she would reply with a honk when I said " Lets go for a walk. She would fly to me if she fell to far behind and land right at my side. I have neighbors that come to see Lucy daily, they bring their children to feed and look on in amusement. Lucy is a very gentle goose and very, very loved. Lucy has her own bathtub, I fill it often and she loves to swim and play in it.

Wherever I am outside or in the house, Lucy is always by my side. This silly little goose has stolen my heart and many in the hood where we live. When I walked to visited the neighbors she would follow me and wait outside on the porch and then proceed to walk home with me. Lucy is in my home laying by the fire with my dogs, who by the way adore her as well.

So here we are, moving now to the date January 11, 2012.

We look down the driveway and a non familiar truck opens the gate and pulls up to the house. Two men get out and my husband, Don , met them outside. They want to take a look in the barn. With nothing to hide Don takes them to the barn to see Lucy.

Then this beautiful blue day turns black and cold, they are here to take Lucy.

They had said that they got a call from the R.C.M.P. and were dispatched out of Smithers, B.C. to come and remove the bird.

With no exact reason they then removed her from the barn, but I have so say not without my verbal arguments to try to keep my girl.

Someone had made a complaint that I had a goose, she does not terrorize the neighborhood, she flies and comes back home always. Lucy does not wander, even though she is given every opportunity to do as she pleases.

I also talked to the wildlife officer and was telling him that I am able and willing to obtain a Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit. Which I can take in Smithers, a 4 day course, and my native band, T'latz'en nation, is willing to help me.

The officer told me that I would never be able to attain one, which is not true.I was then told that I may be fined for everyday that Lucy was with us.This also is not true because Lucy was always given her freedom to come and go as she pleased.

Lucy was never held captive, Lucy is not abused, Lucy is very well taken care of.

I was told, as they were taking her away in a small crate, that I could see her anytime in Prince George, Northern Wildlife Rescue.

So this day January 12, I pick up the phone to call P.G. Wildlife Rescue. On the other end of the phone they tell me that they do not have long term facilities to keep Lucy and she is going to be moved to Vancouver Island to be euthanized or she may be euthanized here in Prince George.

Now you can see why I have been terrorized by the system and Lucy's fate is in my hands.

I have been on the phone all day and now into the night to try to save my Lucy and bring her back home.

Our friendly Wildlife Officer also told us that we should have stepped on her when we found her and while talking to Wildlife Rescue in P.G. she told me that, that would have been the better option for Lucy.

These are the people that we rely on for our wildlife conservation? I am begging you to please help me in any way that you can.

I will await your reply. I have alot of family and friends that are also helping me to get the word out about our situation. Lucy has stolen the hearts of all who have had the chance to meet her, Lucy would steal your heart too.

Sincerely Diane VanderWiel and family

I have been calling the Northern Wildlife Rescue Society, in Prince George,trying to get an update on how Lucy is doing. They have an answering service and have yet to call me back. If anyone wants to call and show their support the # is 250-962-8520. Tell them to release LUCY! Save her life rather than Destroying it! We also have a FB page - Bring Lucy Home!
Bring Lucy to HER home
Comment by KD on 17th January 2012
Wow, what a lot of time and money gone into something that is so silly. Taking a well cared for, well loved bird away from its home. This is not a case of abuse or anything of the sort, worry about other cases that require more effort. Bring Lucy home, where she belongs, not in some silly stall, sad and lonely. How are you fixing things by putting her down? Only making a bad name for the ones involved in taking her away.
lucy goosey
Comment by al earl on 17th January 2012
interesting, government representitives suggesting kill nature, nature looks after itself, if Lucy the goose wants to live in Newfoundland or these peoples house, its her decision, obviously she prefers the life she has chosen as opossed to what the government suggests, are the fish and wildlife people and the rat that turned her in serious, if a fish swims in the creek behind my house and lays eggs, are the wildlife protectors going to come and take them away to a fish farm for their protection, give your head a shake,these people are not fattening Lucy up for thanksgiving, they are allowing nature to take its course, and in this case, Lucy wants to live on the farm because thats what nature dictates, if our government is so dedicated to the law of nature, whats with the pipeline,
time for a change,I cant imagine the cost of all this bullsh-t for one goose, put that money towards healthcare or any other just cause
set the goose free
Farm Girl
Comment by Farm Girl on 17th January 2012
this is so unfair to poor Lucy and her owners. that poor bird was givin a chance at life, with the option to be free and fly away. she has been givin a loving home and been spoiled. thats been her life for 2 years, and then she is taken away and locked up. think of how she feels...what she did wrong. and for the owner how heart broken and helpless she is feeling. this really breaks my heart. and now to just destroy her JUST because you dont have the facility for her or what not...REALLY?!! think if someone came and took away your family dog...and it was in Lucys situation...really. even tho its a whild animal its been well takin care of, has the option to fly free, and is no danger to the public. there is no reason for this poor goose to be put into this sad position. it was givin a second chance at life thanks to these kind people. please do the right thing and return poor Lucy to her loving family and home WERE SHE BELONGS! it's the right thing to do! please dont destroy her for no reason...thats just wrong in so many ways. i hope you guys do the right thing. :(
Let her go back!
Comment by Disappointed on 16th January 2012
This is another fine example of our tax dollars at work. How much did it cost to get these 2 conservation officers to capture (pick-up) a goose that was content to roam free? And then what? Did they put her on a plane to PG? And now we are paying for someone to care for her?
When she was fine where she was? Ridiculous! This came about because some self-centred, jealous person may have thought they were doing "the right thing"? Are there no bigger issues in the area where you live that this person could get involved in?
Call the TV stations and the newspapers, get everyone involved. SAVE LUCY!
It is not right to treat one of Natures creatures like this.
Comment by Larry on 15th January 2012
Have we, as a people, ...as a so called society sunk so low that their is no room in our hearts for anything but power and that almight dollar? Let this bird return to its adopted family to live out its life. Do it now'''
Destroy? Release Lucy?
Comment by DR on 15th January 2012
Unless taken out of context, your friendly Wildlife officer suggested you commit an illegal act by suggesting that you should have stepped on it. I suggest a formal letter of complaint be sent to the applicable minister. According to this act I believe it would also be illegal for them to kill Lucy as outlined since she is not a threat to public safety. Unfortunately the abduction of this free willed and seemingly content goose by the ministry bears uncanny similarity to when the ministry of social services abducts children, including the outcome. You should learn more about the Migratory Bird Act, and contact a bird conservation group for advice.

The original 1918 statute implemented the 1916 Convention between the U.S. and Great Britain (for Canada) for the protection of migratory birds. Later amendments implemented treaties between the U.S. and Mexico, the U.S. and Japan, and the U.S. and the Soviet Union (now Russia).
Specific provisions in the statute include:
• Establishment of a Federal prohibition, unless permitted by regulations, to "pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, cause to be shipped, deliver for transportation, transport, cause to be transported, carry, or cause to be carried by any means whatever, receive for shipment, transportation or carriage, or export, at any time, or in any manner, any migratory bird, included in the terms of this Convention . . . for the protection of migratory birds . . . or any part, nest, or egg of any such bird." (16 U.S.C. 703)
Shame!Shame!Shame!
Comment by Me on 14th January 2012
Here are people who do what they can for this particular little bird at a time when it needs help the most. For over two years they offer this beautiful creature a home, companionship and the ability to come and go as it pleases.

We all know the do's and don'ts of handling wild animals,but once in a while, along comes this one particular creature that just has that little something. We don't know what it is, but it's a feeling you get if you're ever lucky enough to get it.

These people are stewards of this land and have done exactly what anyone else in this particular situation could have, would have, and should have done.

Shame on you conservation officer for saying,"You should have stepped on it".

Shame on you! (whoever it was who called them in the first place)

Shame on you Northern Wildlife Rescue Society for even considering killing Lucy without allowing her adoptive family the proper amount of time to satisfy the beauracratic requirements that are needed to bring her home.

Everyone can put the blame on someone else and say " I'm just doing what I was told to do" Come on people, sometimes things are so straightforward and simple, it's painful.

I am calling the Northern Wildlife Rescue Society and requesting that they return Lucy HOME or at least keep her alive long enough for the VanderWiels to launch the appropriate appeal.

Each case of someone bringing home a stray animal needs to be looked at seriously of course, otherwise we would have chaos. There are laws in place, but we need to look at the circumstances and the end result.

All the VanderWiels need is the proper amount of time to work things out.

I hope people respond to this comment as perhaps some debate will bring more attention to the matter. Don't forget to call Northern Wildlife Rescue Society, in Prince George and tell them to SAVE LUCY's LIFE! Release LUCY!