NEWS RELEASE · 5th December 2011
School District 82
It is with heartfelt sadness that we share the passing of Barry Pankhurst, Board of Education Chair for Coast Mountains School District 82. Barry passed away suddenly yesterday, December 4, 2011, in Vancouver, B.C.

A devoted School Trustee, Barry served in this position for 17 years reflecting outstanding dedication and service to students, especially to those with special needs. He made a difference in our school district communities and played an essential role in the lives of thousands of students. During his last term as a School Trustee, Barry served as Board of Education Chair, a role he took on with passion and devotion.

Our deepest condolences and prayers are extended to Barry’s wife, Mary Anne, and to his family.

Details regarding service arrangements will be shared as soon as available.

We will miss Barry dearly.
Comment by Maryanne Pankhurst and Family on 6th December 2011
We would like to extend our sincere gratitude for all the heart felt messages that we are receiving from you all. They are helping us through this extremely difficult time.

We were always proud of him for his determination and dedication to the children of our community. He worked tirelessly to protect their best interests. Although he never would have expected recognition or praise for these acts, if he could read these comments he would be as amazed as we all are at all the people he has touched.

We have lost our anchor, but it makes it easier knowing he was loved so much by so many wonderful people.

Sincerely
Maryanne Pankhurst and family
Friend
Comment by Don Ross on 6th December 2011
Old friends are not forgotten, just gone ahead to help prepare the resting place for the rest of us
Comment by Brenda Mitchell on 6th December 2011
Barry was an amazing man and an awesome advocate for children.I will be forever grateful for all his help and empathy in dealing with a situation we had last year.RIP Barry-Kitimat has lost one of its best.
A good Man
Comment by Randy Halyk on 6th December 2011
I was privileged to know Barry for only a short time but in that time I learned to respect him. Barry had a great understanding of things in the northwest and will be sorely missed. Under different circumstances he may have been a city Councilor or even a Mayor. I take my hat off to a good man. Rest in Piece Barry.
Rest in Peace.
Comment by Mike Forward on 6th December 2011
I first met Barry when I and a group of other ice users went before the Advisory Recreation Commission to lobby to keep KIR open. There were more than a few of us who were not accustomed to speaking publicly about such things, but Barry was encouraging and supportive of our input and suggestions. I had the chance to sit in on other meetings with him and that never changed. Rest in Peace, Barry.
Rest in Peace our old friend
Comment by Jim & Sandy Harris-uncle Jim on 6th December 2011
Over forty years ago here in Peterborough Ontario we were so honoured to befriend this kind and caring man, and are so thankful he was there to help us when we arrived in Kitimat. He was a always helping neighbour across the street from us in Kemano. He was truly the most outstanding honest and fair man we ever knew, treated my Sandy as his favorite sister, and was my mentor while I was health and safety chairman for Kitimat works. He was always available to help out while I was away at trades school in Prince George for those 4 winters and a truly born again Christian. Rest in peace old friend and yes you will never be forgotten. Jim and Sandy ( uncle Jim)
Remembered for Kindness & Encouragement
Comment by Dale & Sandy Flint on 5th December 2011
Barry Pankhurst was a blessing and an encourager to those he came in contact with. Kitimat, Coast Mountains School District 82, and his many friends and family know what a great loss his passing is.

On our last visit to Kitimat Barry in his usual manner made a point of making us feel more than welcome and encouraged us with his kind words. Barry's sudden loss is a reminder to take every opportunity to live each day fulfilling your purpose and to be a light in the darkness.

Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family at this time as they grieve the loss of one so special.
Ronald Barry Pankhurst
Comment by Hilary McLeod on 5th December 2011
Can't believe your gone grandpa. Going to miss you so much. I know that you'll watch me grow each day up in heaven with my grandma. Going to miss you smile and laugh, your kisses on my forehead and your encouragement after my skating compitions. Love you so much.
Barry will be missed by his 11 grandkids
• Tasia
• Sydney
• Hilary
• Paige
• Emily
• Sara-Lynn
• Camryn
• Logan
• Tre
• & your baby Nicholas

Love you.. ,
Hilary Paige McLeod xoxo <3
To all of you I would like to say this
Comment by Merv Ritchie on 5th December 2011
Of all the Board and Council meetings I have attended (and those who know, know I attend many), Barry was the most fair and structured Chairman. He did not let people ramble on but never disallowed anyone regardless of their opinion. He didn't let any attacks proceed regardless of which side of the issue he sided. He even ensured, when he heard a hesitation, that the opinion was aired. A very difficult job. He was one of the best.

I spoke with him last year and he told me about his weak state, that his heart could quit anyday.

This year when he ran for the School District again I asked him why, why do this when you know how fragile your health is?

He told me how much he loved it, he couldn't not do it, it was his life.

We have lost an amazingly devoted man. An inspiration, a leader and a damn fine chaiman.

I am not surprised he is gone, he told me it wouldn't be long, but I am sad for the loss to our communities.

To his family and friends; by comforted by the knowledge that Barry has left a long list of people behind who will smile everytime they think of him; people you don't even know or would never suspect.

I am one of those.

Farewell my friend, it was a pleasure!