NEWS RELEASE · 5th December 2011
Agreement With Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs
• Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipelines welcomes the agreement with the Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs on behalf of the Gitxsan Nation. We believe it demonstrates vision and leadership and will bring significant benefits to the Gitxsan people.
• The agreement is between the Gitxsan First Nation as represented by Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs, and Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipelines. The Hereditary Chiefs hold title to Gitxsan territory and are the negotiating authority for the Gitxsan Nation.
• The agreement is expected to deliver $ 7 million in net profit to Gitxsan. Northern Gateway is providing financing. This commitment to partnership has helped provide foundation for pending Gitxsan and Enbridge dialogue regarding regional renewable energy projects
• Aboriginal participation in Northern Gateway is an important goal, and one we have worked hard to achieve. The design of our benefits offering reflects years of consultation with First Nations and Métis communities along our existing and proposed pipeline rights-of-way.
• We believe these commitments will break new ground by providing an unprecedented level of long-term economic and social benefits to Aboriginal communities in the North. We are working to ensure Northern Gateway will create a positive long-term impact on the economy and way of life of northern residents, particularly Aboriginal communities.
• Through equity ownership, Aboriginal people will be able to generate a significant new revenue stream that could help achieve the priorities of their people – such as improved health care, education and housing.
All quotes can be attributed to Enbridge spokesman Paul Stanway.