Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
REPORTING · 29th October 2011
Walter McFarlane
Kitimat Fire Fighters responded to a Kitchen fire on Oriole Street Monday, October 24th.

“Crews responded to 84 Oriole Street for a report of a Kitchen Fire. They showed up, there was light smoke showing from the structure, crews went in, extinguished a small fire on top of the stove in the Kitchen,” said Acting Fire Chief Trent Bossence.

The fire did a fair amount of damage to the Kitchen area and smoke through out the house. The homeowners tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher.

Kitchen fires are common. The fire department responds to an average of 20-25 Kitchen fires in a year. This includes small fires which the home owner has put out to ones where there are significant damage done.

He added some newer homes have alarm systems which go off while the homeowner is cooking and it alerts the fire department.

Bossence encouraged people to make sure their stoves are turned off when they are not used for cooking. He also asked people not to store items on top of their stove, to keep the stove clear in case so it does not do any damage if it is accidentally turned on.