Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
REPORTING · 22nd September 2011
Walter McFarlane
It was a learning experience for the two young women who worked on the Emergency Awareness Program over the summer. The two finished the program in late August and have since returned to School.

“We learned a lot about fire safety and hazards in the home and how to deal with fire hazards in the home. We both got training from the fire fighters and through volunteers of the Emergency Preparedness program. It was one of the funnest summer experiences we’ve had,” said Stacey Reis.

The two of them gave 65 home inspections and a yard inspection. 40 of these were in the Kildala area. They delivered forty smoke alarms and 52 batteries.

They went through two pizza delivery promos through the pizzerias in Kitimat. Business increased for each business on those days. People were testing their smoke alarms in advance for hope of free pizza… which was a part of the delivery strategy. Even if people did not have the Fire Truck Delivery pull up to their house, they still would have checked the batteries in their smoke detectors.

The Emergency Awareness Program also participated in schools at the beginning of summer and the Riverlodge Summer Windup at the end of summer. Kids got a chance to use a fire hose to try and put out artificial “flames” in a hand made model house.

After July, they worked on home assessments for the rest of the summer. The program concluded on August 19th.

Both of the summer students have learned from the program. Reis stated she is a lot more organized then she was before and has learned a lot about public relations. Reis learned she is not testing her smoke detector as often as she should have. She is also unplugging her Kitchen appliances when not in use.

Going door to door helped Kylee Brown break out of her shell. In addition, she notices fire safety hazards around her home more frequently now. The first thing she is going to do upon moving in to her next apartment is to check the smoke alarm.

“It’s something that will hopefully stick forever,” said Brown.