REPORTING · 26th October 2010
Tuesday, October 19th will be a memorable day for Isaiah Silva. It was the day he was crowned Fire Chief for the Day as a part of Fire Safety Week in Kitimat giving him some time off from St. Anthony’s Elementary School.
In addition to a special dinner provided by A&W this year with; Mayor Joanne Monaghan, Fire Chief John Klie, his teacher Oriana Viveiros, Principal Paul Carnthwaite and the Kitimat Fire Department, he was treated with to a tour of the Fire Department along with all the perks.
Young Silva was in and out of all the Fire Trucks, sprayed the fire hose, went up in the ladder truck and hit all the switches in the Fire Truck. He brought a cake with a photo of him and Sparky back to class with him. He even brought a stuffed animal to his sister, Faith, at home. He said he was interested in becoming a Firefighter after this day.
“It is an honour and a privilege to participate in these kinds of events because it is something that means a lot to the children and the kids appreciate it so much,” said Monaghan.
Monaghan also thanked the Fire Department for being there for the community. Silva was given the opportunity to sign a proclamation thanking the newspapers for covering Fire Prevention Week. He also banged the gavel a few times.
Stated Chief Klie, “Actually, the first week of October is Fire Prevention Week. What we do is we go to the schools and talk about fire safety messages. Also, along with Fire Prevention week, we do a draw for Fire Chief for a day for all the schools for Grade Five to Grade 7.”
The Fire Department is encouraging people to check smoke detectors as well as the participating in the ‘Get out Alive’ program. They are asking people to check their smoke detectors twice a year, preferably during daylight savings time. If the smoke detector is wired into the house, it should be cleaned out. They are also asking people to have a plan for when the smoke alarm goes off.
As a lot of the fires this year have been Kitchen Fires, the Fire Department is also asking people to look after their food while they are cooking it. If they are cooking something in the oven, do not forget to set the timer alarm.
Finally, with Halloween, the Kitimat Fire Department is reminding parents not to let their kids at the Candy until they have inspected it. Kids dressed in dark scary costumes should remember to wear some sort of reflector or carry a flashlight.
Silva signed a proclaimation thanking the papers for covering fire prevention week
Silva also got a chance to meet with multiple VIP's from the Fire Department and City Hall
Isaiah Silva and his sister Faith stand with Klie before the cake he will be bringing back to class