Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
The Firefighters work to contain the fire which has spread to the attic
REPORTING · 3rd November 2010
Walter McFarlane
UPDATED NOVEMBER 3rd

At 20 minutes to two pm on Sunday, October 24th, the Kitimat Fire Department was dispatched to a fire on Stikine Street. According to neighbours who were present at, there was a loud explosion in the back yard which set a tall tree ablaze.

“It began as a shed fire originally and our crews responded. They found it a little more involved then just a shed, both sheds in the back as well as the house was involved when we got there, on scene,” said Deputy Fire Chief Trent Bossence.

The items in the shed burned hot enough to spread the fire from the sheds to the house through radiant heat. The sheds were totalled by the fire and the house took substantial damage. Fortunately, no one was harmed and with the exception of a neighbouring shed, the fire did not spread to the neighbouring houses.

Bossence stated the explosion could have been anything as people keep gas cans, paint cans and other items in the shed. The fire itself was treated as a suspicious fire with the RCMP checking into it.

The Kitimat Fire Department is reminding the people of Kitimat to make certain the chimneys are clean before starting up a wood burning stove.