NEWS RELEASE · 18th October 2010
BC First Spokesman, Chris Delaney, says his party is calling for a full public inquiry into the outrageous “deal” cut between the crown and the defense lawyers in the BC Rail case that saw Dave Basi and Bobby Virk plead guilty to minor charges in exchange for essentially being set free under “house arrest”.
“This is the most outrageous miscarriage of justice ever perpetrated by this sick, arrogant and corrupt government,” said Delaney.
“To allow these two men to get off without any substantial punishment smells of interference at the highest levels. Millions of dollars were spent, seven years of court time wasted, and the Crown cuts a deal now? It makes you wonder if the whole thing was planned from the beginning.”
Delaney says the only way to truly find out what happened in the case of BC Rail is to conduct a full, open and televised public inquiry that gets to the bottom of the following questions:
1. Did Premier Campbell arrange for the sale of BC Rail to CN prior to the bidding process?
2. Did Premier Campbell order ministerial assistants Dave Basi and Bobby Virk to deliver the sale of BC Rail to CN?
3. Did Gary Collins, Minister of Finance at the time his office was raided by the RCMP, have “insider” knowledge about the sale of BC Rail to CN?
4. Was Gary Collins forced to resign because of “insider” knowledge about the sale of BC Rail to CN?
5. Was Gary Collins “looked after” for keeping quiet about that knowledge?
6. Did ministers Geoff Plant and/or Christie Clark have “insider knowledge” about the BC Rail sale to CN?
7. Were Geoff Plant and/or Christie Clark forced to resign because of “insider” knowledge regarding BC Rail to CN?
8. Why did senior members of Gordon Campbell’s party like Carole Taylor and Olga Illich all resign before completing their terms?
9. Why were Dave Basi and Bobby Virk kept on the government payroll after being charged with criminal charges?
10. What exactly were the roles of Patrick Kinsella and Martyn Brown in the sale of BC Rail to CN?
11. Was there any influence peddling involved in the sale of BC Rail to CN by any government official?
12. Did Premier Campbell order the destruction of hundreds of emails that were designated as “evidence” in the BC Rail trial?
13. Why did the Crown agree to such lenient sentences for two men it said were acting independently of the government when they arranged the sale of BC Rail to CN?
14. What role did CN play in trying to influence the sale of BC Rail to themselves?
15. Why did the Crown not complete the trial after spending millions of tax dollars and 7 years preparing the case?
Delaney says there are hundreds more questions that deserve to be answered surrounding this blatant and deliberate miscarriage of justice.
“Everyone from the judges to the prosecution should be questioned under oath about their strange, strange behaviors. If they have nothing to hide then it will be a chance for them to ‘clear the air’. If they were involved in shady deals and/or corrupt practices then even if it can’t be proven the public can see for themselves if they think any of them are lying.”
Delaney says a BC First Government will conduct a full, televised public inquiry into not only the BC Rail scandal, but for all government corruption under the BC Liberals.
“This government has totally betrayed BC. They are the most awful group ever to be handed the reins of power in this province. There is no one there except either cowards or sociopaths. Take your pick, because that’s all we have left running our government now,” concluded Delaney.