Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
REPORTING · 11th May 2010
Walter McFarlane
Breakfast was not the only thing cooking at the A&W in Kitimat this morning when an electrical fire broke out in the kitchen.

“We received a call from Prince George Dispatch at 9:39 informing us of an electrical fire at 123 City Centre which is A&W Building. We were out of the station at 9:42 and we were at the scene at 9:44. On arrival, all the employees and patrons were outside,” said Captain Mike Bovingdon

The employees were the real heroes of the day. An employee at A&W noticed the fire and hit it with an extinguisher. They also realized it was an electrical fire so another employee hit the breaker. The fire was in the kitchen but was not related to cooking.

“The Fire was out. There was still some heat in the area. An electrical contractor was called. They came and took care of the problem and damage was minimal,” said Bovingdon.

Two employees were taken away by ambulance for assessment after the fire. Smoke inhalation was the concern as was powder from the fire extinguisher.

The Fire Department is reminding residents of Kitimat to: “Know where your fire extinguishers are. The employees there did a really good job. They got the fire extinguisher, they cut the power off to the area in question. They knew how to operate the extinguisher, They extinguished the fire and they called 911,” said Bovingdon.

A&W on the other hand was cleaned up and reopened by 11:30, ready for the noon hour crowd.
Great Job!
Comment by Daniel Carter on 11th May 2010
Nice to hear that there were no serious injuries. Hats off to a job well done by the employees at the Dub for their quick reaction to the fire.