NEWS RELEASE · 3rd May 2010
M. of Children & Family Dvlp.
Twelve child care professionals who have demonstrated outstanding service to the children and families of British Columbia are the winners of the B.C. 2010 Child Care Awards of Excellence, announced today by Mary Polak, Minister of Children and Family Development and Minister Responsible for Child Care.
"As we kick off Child Care Month in British Columbia, we celebrate the highly-skilled professionals who support the overall health and happiness of our children. Accessible, quality childcare is an integral part of a strong economy," said Polak. "Working in child care demands considerable skill and results in tremendous rewards for children, caregivers, working families and communities."
Awards are handed out each year to child-care providers nominated by parents, peers, and community members for the safe, enriching environments they offer children in licensed child-care settings such as group centres, family daycares, out-of school child care and preschools.
Close to 100 nominations were evaluated using criteria that included supporting child development, involving parents, families and communities, supporting diversity and commitment to ongoing professional development and leadership in the child-care sector.
"Quality child care comes down to the person providing the care," said Barb Presseau, Fraser Region child care resource and referral co- ordinator. "Just as child care providers respect and nurture children as individuals, let's take time to celebrate each and every professional for their individual and profound contributions in supporting children and families."
Many of B.C.'s child care resource and referral centres will hold appreciation events in their communities throughout the month. With well over 5,000 licensed facilities and 10,000 early childhood educators across British Columbia, there are a lot of people to appreciate.
Take some time this month to thank the child care professionals in your community, and mark your calendars; May 20th is Child Care Provider Appreciation Day.
AND THE WINNERS ARE...
Twelve child-care professionals have been awarded 2010 Child Care Awards of Excellence in six categories. Nine licensed child-care facilities have also received a Child Care Legacy Award in recognition of more than 40 years of service to British Columbians.
* Caroline Schier - West Vancouver
* Ellen Ruth Muirhead - North Vancouver
* Harlen Jones - Enderby (Lenora Pritchard Memorial Award)
* Verna Adolph - Lillooet
Family Child Care Provider
* Soonock Lee - Vancouver
* AnnaRita Best - Nanaimo
Promising New Family Child Care Provider
* Shazmina Herath - Burnaby
* Mata Papadogambros - Coquitlam
Promising New Early Childhood Educator
* Sheila Marie Kennedy - Eagle Creek (Interior)
* Mie Hoshino - Vancouver
* Christine Eldon - North Vancouver
* Dee Conley - Quathiaski Cove (Vancouver Island)
Child Care Legacy Awards
* University of Victoria Child Care Services - Victoria
* Little Goslings - Vancouver
* Shuswap Daycare - Salmon Arm
* Parkdale Early Childhood Centre - Victoria
* St. James Daycare - Vancouver
* Gingerbread House Parent Participation Preschool - Richmond
* Vancouver Bilingual Preschool - Vancouver
* Whalley Daycare Ltd - Surrey
* Acadia Daycare Centre - Vancouver