Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
REPORTING · 3rd December 2009
Walter McFarlane
UPDATED DECEMBER 3rd

Fire trucks, ambulances and RCMP were seen on the road to Service Centre around 8 pm on Thursday November 26th. Their destination was Pete's Autobody, although fire had been reported in the auto detailing shop behind it. The call came in on the regular, non emergency number.

The people who had called in the fire had smelt smoke coming from the building and had investigated. They reported a crackling sound from the building but could not see the fire because the room was filled with smoke. Although the room seemed was dark, they called in the Kitimat Fire Department.

Upon arrival, the owner of Pete's Autobody was already there to grant the fire fighters access. Due to smoke, there was 1 inch of visibility. Using a thermal imaging camera, the firefighters were able to find the hotspots while the second truck was on route to the fire.

The main fire was quickly put out but there was a secondary fire: the fire had spread to the roof. This fire was also quickly extinguished. Still, the Kitimat Fire Fighters were on the scene for three hours.

According to Fire Chief John Klie, they were able to track down the spot where the fire started. They believe the fire to be electrical although it is still a matter of electricians looking at the wiring. That makes 4 fires which are believed to have been electrical in 2009.

The Kitimat Fire Department is reminding the people of Kitimat to have all of their electrical work installed or inspected by a professional. If there are shorts, sparks or arcing, make certain to get that fixed.

“Any electrical problems can lead to something more dangerous, so as soon as you think you have an electrical situation, get it checked by an electrician,” said Fire Chief Klie

This is also the fourth major fire that has been reported by people walking on the street who have seen it. “I take my hat off to the people who called it in,” said Klie.